Tuesday 12 August 2014

There But for the Grace of God.

 

There But For The Grace of God

 

Robin Williams, one of the worlds greatest comedians, after a long battle with drink, drugs and depression today took his own life.
 
I have tried to close my mind to those blackest of moments, but all I can think is there but for the grace of god - and in my case a timely visitor, go I and so many others.
 
Never before have I thought, "thank you universe that I ONLY had reactional depression". I have not had to face those demons, day in and day out, month in and month out, year in and year out.
 
Today depression took from us a great and funny man, to quote a friend "it has no boundaries". Not riches, or laughter, fun or friends it seems can ultimately save someone from this terrible and destroying illness.

Having had just a small taste of the desperation depression brings, my heart goes out to anyone who suffers on a daily and long term basis, given that the news of his death so closely follows my post about kindness, tomorrow I shall remember to be extra kind.
 
My life was saved by the kindness of a friend, never before has paying that back seemed to be so important.


No comments:

Post a Comment